23 May 2005
Juve Not Interested in Cassano
Speaking on continuing rumours linking the club with a move for Roma's
Antonio
Cassano Juventus
director Luciano Moggi said :
"Cassano is one of the best attacking players in circulation but he
won't come here
for two reasons.
The first is that I am absolutely convinced that he will not leave
Roma at the end of the season. The
second is that I don't see how he can fit into
our side given the
champions we already have in our squad.
I can't see what you
can improve on when you already have the best at
your disposal."
Shevchenko Reveals Admiration For Rush
"(Ian) Rush was a terrific striker, one of the best of his time, and
I'll never forget
receiving a pair of boots
from him at a youth tournament in Wales. I must have
been about 14 at
the time and used to love those
boots. I was a big admirer of
Rush."
Nice Appoint Antonetti
Frederic Antonetti will sign a three-year contract to coach Nice.
Antonetti was firmly
in charge
of St Etienne and replaces Gernot Rohr who was sacked last month.
Parma Climb-down Over Gilardino Fee
Parma administrator Luca Baraldi has tried to distance himself from
the following
comments he
made last week :
"We sold Adriano to Inter for 50 million and Gilardino, who has more
impressive
numbers than the
Brazilian, can't be worth any less."
After Milan vice president Adriano Galliani ruled out a move for the
player claiming
he was too
expensive Baraldi said :
"The best players can make the difference and it is right that clubs
should gain an
economical advantage
for them. Galliani said he would pull out at that price? I didn't
set
a price, I just gave my opinion by comparing
him to Adriano. We'll consider
figures at the end of the season. Only
once serious negotiations start will we
get a
clear picture of the situation. Galliani is a great football
official and it is only right
that he is saying what
he is right now."
Gullit Resigns
Ruud Gullit has quit as coach for Feyenoord after they finished 4th,
25 points behind champions PSV.
22 May 2005
Monchengladbach Sack Drunken Moore
Borussia Monchengladbach's have sacked Australian defender Craig Moore
for turning
up to training
drunk last Thursday. Sporting director Peter Pander said :
"They must be professionals and I can not accept what Craig did. We
have cancelled
his contract for this
reason. We have not given him a send-off because we do not
want to see
him again."
20 May 2005
Jealous Wenger Accuses Chelsea of Financial Doping
"They have enhancement of performances through financial resources
which are
unlimited. For me
it's a kind of doping because it's not in any way linked to their
resources. It puts pressure on the market
that is not very healthy. They can go to
Steven Gerrard or Rio
Ferdinand and 'say how much do you earn,
we'll give you twice
as much'. Chelsea now look to be the third force,
if not the first one at the moment
and that will make it more interesting." - Arsene Wenger
Former Stars Open Allianz Arena
Former stars of derby rivals Bayern Munich and 1860 Munich played in
the first
'unofficial' match at their
clubs new home, the Allianz Arena. 32,000 spectators
watched 1860 beat
Bayern 3-2 in the 280 million,
66,000 seater stadium which will
be inaugurated at the end of the
month. On the 30th of May 1870 will play
Nurnberg
and on the 31st Bayern will play the German national side.
Peter Pacult, Martin Max
and Bernhard
Winkler gave 1860 a 3-0 half time lead. Bayern replied in the second
half through Ludwig Kogl and Karl-Heinz
Rummenigge.
19 May 2005
FA Cup Sold for 695,000
The oldest surviving FA Cup was sold at Christies auction for 695,000
to
Birmingham City chairman
David Gold.
Alan Ball's 1966 World Cup winners medal sold for 240,000 and his cap
sold for
63,000.
Zenga Sacked
Steaua Bucharest have sacked Italian coach Walter Zenga after poor
recent form in
which they
took 7 points from their last six games and their lead over bitter
rivals
Dinamo Bucharest cut to
one point with 2 games remaining. Steaua's owner Gigi
Becali said :
"Zenga is the man responsible for the team's poor play recently.
Steaua might lose
the title and
Zenga must pay for that. The team needed a shock in order to wake
up."
Dorinel Munteanu and Dumitru Dumitriu will take over for the remaining
games.
Barcelona to Sign Record Shirt Sponsorship Deal with China
In what will be a World Record Barcelona are reported to be close to
signing a five
year shirt
sponsorship deal with China for 276,000 million, the first shirt
sponsorship
deal in the clubs
history. Barcelona are expected to carry Beijing or Beijing 2008
(Olympics) next season.
Lyon Tracking Tomasson
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas had rejected speculation linking the
club with a
move for
Juventus striker David Trezeguet and instead turned his attentions to
Milan forward Jon Dahl Tomasson :
"We've been interested in him for a long time. We tried to bring him
here a while
ago. Now he's got
the Champions' League Final to look forward to and I hope he
plays in
it and wins but his future at Milan
could be different. It's premature to say
he's coming to Lyon,
although it's not stupid to say we want him
but there are lots
of others too."
18 May 2005
Lampard Robbed, Literally
Frank Lampard's agent Steve Kuttner has released the following
statement :
In the early hours of this morning Frank Lampard's private residence
was the subject
of a burglary. Frank has only been in the house for a matter of
days but unfortunately
photographs of the house have been published in various newspapers
which has
not helped with maintaining his privacy and security.
A small number of items were taken from Frank's house along with two
motor
vehicles. Frank was disturbed by the sounds of the cars leaving
his property and we
immediately contacted the police and activated his tracker system.
Both cars and
his property have been recovered undamaged.
Neither Frank nor his fiance Elen who were asleep in the house at the
time were
harmed in any way and neither was his house ransacked nor damaged.
Premier League to Crackdown on Cool Streaming
The Premier League are planning legal action against Coolstreaming
sites.
Coolstreaming is the streaming of live media over the internet.
Premier League
spokesman Dan Johnson said :
"We were seeing people infringing our rights with streaming - we're
now considering
taking one of those sites to court to make an example of them. It's
something we
became aware of six months ago. I think it's a relatively recent
phenomenon and
the technological access to broadband has enabled it (streaming) to be
done.
Basically we were seeing people infringing our rights with streaming.
We're now
considering taking one of those sites to court to make an example of
them - and to
set a precedent."
FIFA to Sort Out Mikel Mess
Manchester United and Lyn have submitted documents to FIFA over
Chelsea's
apparent involvement in the non transfer of 18 year old Lyn midfielder
John Obi
Mikel. Mikel signed a contract with Manchester United on the 29th of
April but claims
he did so against his own free will :
"I signed a contract with Manchester United and I didn't do that of my
own free
will. I was put into a lot of pressure to do that and I was denied
advice from my
agent and people I trust and I didn't get much time to think about
that. I did
something I did not want to do because of the pressure from Mr Morgan
(Morgan
Andersen, Lyn's sporting director) and a representative of United it
became too
much. I was pushed and I had nobody on my side so I had to do it. I
was denied
a chance to have a week to think about it and get some independent
advice from
people so the pressure was too much."
Mikel is expected to sign for Chelsea but denied any contact with
officials from the
club :
"I came into London and I have been in my hotel with my agent and
haven't seen
anyone or talked to anyone from Chelsea. I have no contact with
Chelsea for now."
Lyn's sporting director Morgan Andersen said :
"This thing is much larger than people think. John Obi Mikel received
his work permit
to play in Norway in September last year, he turned professional on
April 22 and
until April 29 when he signed for Manchester United, we had no
problems and
everything was quiet. We do not believe John left Norway of his free
will. Legally,
he is our player. He should be with us now and next year, he should be
free to join
Manchester United. As far as we are concerned, it is a very clear case
but it needs
sorting out, which is why, together with Manchester United, we have
asked FIFA to
get involved."
Drogba Longing For Return to Marseille
"Marseille is close to my heart. I said that when I left Marseille and
I have not
changed my opinion in the last few months. You cannot explain love. I
have won a
championship medal in England and one day I want to win a championship
medal in
France." - Chelsea flop Didier Drogba
Ambrosini Ruled out of European Cup Final
Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini has been ruled out of next week's
European Cup
final after suffered a thigh strain in Sunday's 2-2 draw at Lecce.
Sky Italia Purchase World Cup Rights
Sky Italia have paid 40 million for exclusive rights to show 39 World
Cup matches
next year on their pay TV channels. State broadcaster RAI have the
rights to show
all games involving Italy, the opening match, both semi-finals and the
final.
17 May 2005
Pele - When in Rome
In a typical display of brownnosing Pele, in Cannes to promote a new
film
documenting his glorious career laughably claimed Zinedine Zidane was
the best
player of the past decade - because of his consistency :
"Zinedine Zidane is the best player of the past 10 years. Figo, Raul,
Beckham,
Ronaldo or Kaka are very good players, but Zidane has been the more
consistent."
I would assume Pele meant consistently good and not consistently
disappointing
which is the case.
Lahm Out for Six Months
Bayern Munich defender Philip Lahm has been ruled out for six months
after picking
up a knee injury in training. Lahm is currently on loan at Stuttgart.
Le Guen Expected to join Fenerbahce
In a surprise move former Lyon coach Paul Le Guen is expected to sign
a three year
contract with Fenerbahce.
Two More Soccer Deaths in Sweden
An 11 year old boy died during a school soccer game. The boy was
having difficulty
breathing after the ball struck him on the chest. He died on the way
to hospital.
Heart surgeon Mats Boerjesson drew parallels with children in the US
who die after
being struck by baseballs :
"They suffer from a so-called heart-shaking when the blow to the heart
happens at
an unfortunate moment in the heart rhythm. The same thing can happen
with a
football, although it is very unusual."
On Monday a 13 year old boy died after collapsing while playing
football. He was
taken to hospital by helicopter but was announced dead on arrival.
It's thought he
had a congenital heart disorder. Three children aged between 10-15
have also died
while playing football in Sweden this year and a 15 year old died
while playing Ice
Hockey. |
|